23 October 2003 (online)
Cosmetic rhinoplasty is performed by specialists all over the world; increasingly, people of different ethnic groups want their noses reshaped in one way or another. The term mestizo is defined and its general nasal characteristics and anthropometric measurements are presented. Surgery is planned using the patient's specific facial characteristics, with the goal of achieving harmony and balance while preserving ethnical background and complying as much as possible with the patient's desires. All surgeries are performed using the open-rhinoplasty approach. Mestizo patients usually want noses that look finer and thinner but not necessarily bigger. Different surgical options are presented and overall results evaluated, always trying to maintain ethnicity and harmony unless the patient desires otherwise.
Mestizo nose - rhinoplasty - support structures - acute nasolabial angle - thick skin
- 1 Ospina W. América Mestiza-el País del Futuro. Bogotá, Colombia: Villegas Editores 2000 : 23-38
- 2 Milgrim L, Lawson W, Cohen A F. Anthropometric analysis of the female Latino nose. Arch Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg . 1996; 122 1079-1086
- 3 Ortiz Monasterio F, Olmedo A. Rhinoplasty on the mestizo nose. Clin Plast Surg . 1977; 4 89-102
- 4 Hoefflin S. Ethnic Rhinoplasty. New York: Springer-Verlag 1997: 1-15.
- 5 Farkas L. Anthropometry of the Head and Face. 2nd ed. New York: Raven Press 1994: 286-301
- 6 Cobo R. Anthropometric analysis of the female mestizo nose. Presented at the 3rd National Course in Problems in Rhinoplasty; January 2003; Quito, Ecuador.
- 7 Toriumi D, Johnson C. Open rhinoplasty-featured technical points and long-term follow-up. Facial Plastic Surgery Clinics of North America . 1993; 1 1-22
- 8 Johnson C, Toriumi D. Open structure rhinoplasty. Philadelphia, PA: W.B. Saunders Company 1990: 77-94
- 9 McCollough E G, English J L. A new twist in nasal tip surgery: an alternative to the Goldman tip for the wide or bulbous lobule. Arch Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg . 1985; 111 524-529
- 10 Tardy M E, Cheng E. Transdomal suture refinement of the nasal tip. Facial Plast Surg . 1987; 4 317-326
- 11 Konior R J, Kridel R. Controlled nasal tip positioning via the open rhinoplasty approach. Facial Plastic Surgery Clinics of North America . 1993; 1 53-62