Volar Plating: Imaging Modalities for the Detection of Screw PenetrationFunding None.
25 September 2018
16 January 2019
05 March 2019 (eFirst)
Background Volar plating for distal radius fractures exposes the risk of extensor tendon rupture, mechanical problems, and osteoarthritis due to protruding screws.
Purposes The purpose of this review was to identify the best intraoperative diagnostic imaging modality to identify dorsal and intra-articular protruding screws in volar plating for distal radius fractures.
Methods The Preferred Reporting Items for Systematic Reviews and Meta-Analysis guidelines were followed for this review. In vitro and in vivo studies that analyzed the reliability, efficacy, and/or accuracy of intraoperatively available imaging modalities for the detection of dorsal or intra-articular screw protrusion after volar plating for distal radius fractures were included.
Results Described additional imaging modalities are additional fluoroscopic views (pronated views, dorsal tangential view [DTV], radial groove view [RGV], and carpal shoot through [CST] view), three-dimensional (3D) and rotational fluoroscopies, and ultrasound (US). For detection of dorsal screw penetration, additional fluoroscopic views show better results than conventional views. Based on small (pilot) studies, US seems to be promising. For intra-articular screw placement, 3D or 360 degrees fluoroscopy shows better result than conventional views.
Conclusion Based on this systematic review, the authors recommend the use of at least one of the following additional imaging modalities to prevent dorsal protruding screws: CST view, DTV, or RGV. Tilt views are recommended for intra-articular assessment. Of all additional fluoroscopic views, the DTV is most studied and proves to be practical and time efficient, with higher efficacy, accuracy, and reliability compared with conventional views.
Level of Evidence The level of evidence is Level III.
This work was performed at Flinders Medical Center, Australia.
- 1 Chen CH, Zhou RK, Zhen HQ, Huang L, Jiao YJ. Efficacy of volar and dorsal plate fixation for unstable dorsal distal radius fractures. Int J Clin Exp Med 2015; 8 (03) 4375-4380
- 2 Bentohami A, de Burlet K, de Korte N, van den Bekerom MP, Goslings JC, Schep NW. Complications following volar locking plate fixation for distal radial fractures: a systematic review. J Hand Surg Eur Vol 2014; 39 (07) 745-754
- 3 Arora R, Lutz M, Hennerbichler A, Krappinger D, Espen D, Gabl M. Complications following internal fixation of unstable distal radius fracture with a palmar locking-plate. J Orthop Trauma 2007; 21 (05) 316-322
- 4 Tarallo L, Mugnai R, Zambianchi F, Adani R, Catani F. Volar plate fixation for the treatment of distal radius fractures: analysis of adverse events. J Orthop Trauma 2013; 27 (12) 740-745
- 5 Maschke SD, Evans PJ, Schub D, Drake R, Lawton JN. Radiographic evaluation of dorsal screw penetration after volar fixed-angle plating of the distal radius: a cadaveric study. Hand (N Y) 2007; 2 (03) 144-150
- 6 Rausch S, Marintschev I, Graul I. , et al. Tangential view and intraoperative three-dimensional fluoroscopy for the detection of screw-misplacements in volar plating of distal radius fractures. Arch Trauma Res 2015; 4 (02) e24622
- 7 Poole WE, Marsland D, Durani P, Hobbs CM, Sauvé PS. Detecting dorsal screw penetration following volar plate fixation of the distal radius—a validation study in a saw bone model. Trauma 2016; 10 (01) 46-53 . Available at: https://journals.sagepub.com/doi/abs/10.1177/1460408616664550
- 8 Stoops TK, Santoni BG, Clark NM, Bauer AA, Shoji C, Schwartz-Fernandes F. Sensitivity and specificity of skyline and carpal shoot-through fluoroscopic views of volar plate fixation of the distal radius: a cadaveric investigation of dorsal cortex screw penetration. Hand (N Y) 2017; 12 (06) 551-556
- 9 Dolce D, Goodwin D, Ludwig M, Edwards S. Intraoperative evaluation of dorsal screw prominence after polyaxial volar plate fixation of distal radius fractures utilizing the Hoya view: a cadaveric study. Hand (N Y) 2014; 9 (04) 511-515
- 10 Moher D, Liberati A, Tetzlaff J, Altman DG. ; PRISMA Group. Preferred reporting items for systematic reviews and meta-analyses: the PRISMA statement. J Clin Epidemiol 2009; 62 (10) 1006-1012
- 11 Bhandari M, Montori VM, Swiontkowski MF, Guyatt GH. User's guide to the surgical literature: how to use an article about a diagnostic test. J Bone Joint Surg Am 2003; 85-A (06) 1133-1140
- 12 Williams D, Singh J, Heidari N, Ahmad M, Noorani A, Di Mascio L. Assessment of penetration of dorsal screws after fixation of the distal radius using ultrasound: cadaveric study. Ann R Coll Surg Engl 2016; 98 (02) 138-142
- 13 Hill BW, Shakir I, Cannada LK. Dorsal screw penetration with the use of volar plating of distal radius fractures: how can you best detect?. J Orthop Trauma 2015; 29 (10) e408-e413
- 14 Ozer K, Wolf JM, Watkins B, Hak DJ. Comparison of 4 fluoroscopic views for dorsal cortex screw penetration after volar plating of the distal radius. J Hand Surg Am 2012; 37 (05) 963-967
- 15 Riddick AP, Hickey B, White SP. Accuracy of the skyline view for detecting dorsal cortical penetration during volar distal radius fixation. J Hand Surg Eur Vol 2012; 37 (05) 407-411
- 16 Watchmaker JD, Daley RA, Watchmaker GP, Grindel SI. Ultrasound imaging improves identification of prominent hardware in the surgical treatment of distal radius fractures: a cadaveric and prospective clinical study. J Wrist Surg 2016; 5 (01) 36-41
- 17 Vernet P, Durry A, Nicolau X. , et al. Detection of penetration of the dorsal cortex by epiphyseal screws of distal radius volar plates: anatomical study comparing ultrasound and fluoroscopy. Orthop Traumatol Surg Res 2017; 103 (06) 911-913
- 18 Giugale JM, Fourman MS, Bielicka DL, Fowler JR. Comparing dorsal tangential and lateral views of the wrist for detecting dorsal screw penetration after volar plating of distal radius fractures. Adv Orthop 2017; 2017: 1402517
- 19 Gurbuz Y, Kucuk L, Gunay H, Ozaksar K, Sugun TS, Bilge O. Comparison of ultrasound and dorsal horizon radiographic view for the detection of dorsal screw penetration. Acta Orthop Traumatol Turc 2017; 51 (06) 448-450
- 20 Cha SM, Shin HD. Detections of screw penetration during volar plating for distal radius fractures. J Wrist Surg 2017; 6 (04) 340-348
- 21 Haug LC, Glodny B, Deml C, Lutz M, Attal R. A new radiological method to detect dorsally penetrating screws when using volar locking plates in distal radial fractures. The dorsal horizon view. Bone Joint J 2013; 95-B (08) 1101-1105
- 22 Thomas AD, Greenberg JA. Use of fluoroscopy in determining screw overshoot in the dorsal distal radius: a cadaveric study. J Hand Surg Am 2009; 34 (02) 258-261
- 23 Ganesh D, Service B, Zirgibel B, Koval K. The detection of prominent hardware in volar locked plating of distal radius fractures: intraoperative fluoroscopy versus computed tomography. J Orthop Trauma 2016; 30 (11) 618-621
- 24 Kiyak G. In vivo confirmation of the reliability of the dorsal tangential view of the wrist. Hand Surg Rehabil 2018; 37 (01) 56-59
- 25 Brunner A, Siebert C, Stieger C, Kastius A, Link BC, Babst R. The dorsal tangential X-ray view to determine dorsal screw penetration during volar plating of distal radius fractures. J Hand Surg Am 2015; 40 (01) 27-33
- 26 Bianchi S, van Aaken J, Glauser T, Martinoli C, Beaulieu JY, Della Santa D. Screw impingement on the extensor tendons in distal radius fractures treated by volar plating: sonographic appearance. AJR Am J Roentgenol 2008; 191 (05) W199-203
- 27 Joseph SJ, Harvey JN. The dorsal horizon view: detecting screw protrusion at the distal radius. J Hand Surg Am 2011; 36 (10) 1691-1693
- 28 Marsland D, Hobbs CM, Sauvé PS. Volar locking plate fixation of distal radius fractures: use of an intra-operative ‘carpal shoot through’ view to identify dorsal compartment and distal radioulnar joint screw penetration. Hand (N Y) 2014; 9 (04) 516-521
- 29 Vaiss L, Ichihara S, Hendriks S, Taleb C, Liverneaux P, Facca S. The utility of the fluoroscopic skyline view during volar locking plate fixation of distal radius fractures. J Wrist Surg 2014; 3 (04) 245-249
- 30 Sügün TS, Karabay N, Gürbüz Y, Ozaksar K, Toros T, Kayalar M. Screw prominences related to palmar locking plating of distal radius. J Hand Surg Eur Vol 2011; 36 (04) 320-324
- 31 Lee SK, Bae KW, Choy WS. Use of the radial groove view intra-operatively to prevent damage to the extensor pollicis longus tendon by protruding screws during volar plating of a distal radial fracture. Bone Joint J 2013; 95-B (10) 1372-1376
- 32 Ozer K, Toker S. Dorsal tangential view of the wrist to detect screw penetration to the dorsal cortex of the distal radius after volar fixed-angle plating. Hand (N Y) 2011; 6 (02) 190-193
- 33 Taylor BC, Malarkey AR, Eschbaugh RL, Gentile J. Distal radius skyline view: how to prevent dorsal cortical penetration. J Surg Orthop Adv 2017; 26 (03) 183-186
- 34 Oc Y, Kilinc BE, Gulcu A, Varol A, Ertugrul R, Kara A. Ultrasonography or direct radiography? A comparison of two techniques to detect dorsal screw penetration after volar plate fixation. J Orthop Surg Res 2018; 13 (01) 70
- 35 Tweet ML, Calfee RP, Stern PJ. Rotational fluoroscopy assists in detection of intra-articular screw penetration during volar plating of the distal radius. J Hand Surg Am 2010; 35 (04) 619-627
- 36 Takemoto RC, Gage M, Rybak L, Zimmerman I, Egol KA. Accuracy of detecting screw penetration of the radiocarpal joint following volar plating using plain radiographs versus computed tomography. Am J Orthop 2012; 41 (08) 358-361
- 37 Kumar D, Breakwell L, Deshmukh SC, Singh BK. Tangential views of the articular surface of the distal radius-aid to open reduction and internal fixation of fractures. Injury 2001; 32 (10) 783-786
- 38 Soong M, Got C, Katarincic J, Akelman E. Fluoroscopic evaluation of intra-articular screw placement during locked volar plating of the distal radius: a cadaveric study. J Hand Surg Am 2008; 33 (10) 1720-1723
- 39 Pace A, Cresswell T. Use of articular wrist views to assess intra-articular screw penetration in surgical fixation of distal radius fractures. J Hand Surg Am 2010; 35 (06) 1015-1018
- 40 Borggrefe J, Bolte H, Worms W. , et al. Comparison of intraoperative flat panel imaging and postoperative plain radiography for the detection of intraarticular screw displacement in volar distal radius plate ostheosynthesis. Orthop Traumatol Surg Res 2015; 101 (08) 913-917
- 41 Patel A, Culbertson MD, Lahey P, Semenovski M, Choueka J. Improving accuracy and confidence in distal radius volar plate screw placement through supplemental radiography: examining specialty, education, and experience levels. Hand (N Y) 2013; 8 (03) 308-314
- 42 Perry DC, Machin DM, Casaletto JA, Brown DJ. Minimising the risk of extensor pollicis longus rupture following volar plate fixation of distal radius fractures: a cadaveric study. Ann R Coll Surg Engl 2011; 93 (01) 57-60
- 43 Herisson O, Delaroche C, Maillot-Roy S, Sautet A, Doursounian L, Cambon-Binder A. Comparison of lateral and skyline fluoroscopic views for detection of prominent screws in distal radius fractures plating: results of an ultrasonographic study. Arch Orthop Trauma Surg 2017; 137 (10) 1357-1362
- 44 Benson EC, DeCarvalho A, Mikola EA, Veitch JM, Moneim MS. Two potential causes of EPL rupture after distal radius volar plate fixation. Clin Orthop Relat Res 2006; 451 (451) 218-222
- 45 Wall LB, Brodt MD, Silva MJ, Boyer MI, Calfee RP. The effects of screw length on stability of simulated osteoporotic distal radius fractures fixed with volar locking plates. J Hand Surg Am 2012; 37 (03) 446-453
- 46 Ljungquist KL, Agnew SP, Huang JI. Predicting a safe screw length for volar plate fixation of distal radius fractures: lunate depth as a marker for distal radius depth. J Hand Surg Am 2015; 40 (05) 940-944
- 47 Magaraggia J, Wei W, Weiten M. , et al. Design and evaluation of a portable intra-operative unified-planning-and-guidance framework applied to distal radius fracture surgery. Int J CARS 2017; 12 (01) 77-90
- 48 Asadollahi S, Keith PP. Flexor tendon injuries following plate fixation of distal radius fractures: a systematic review of the literature. J Orthop Traumatol 2013; 14 (04) 227-234