Determination of the Mean Normal Prothrombin Time for Assessment of International Normalized RatiosUsefulness of Lyophilized Plasma
Received 27 December 1990
Accepted 03 April 1991
25 July 2018 (online)
To report a Prothrombin Time (PT) as International Normalized Ratio in controlling oral anticoagulant therapy, the Mean Normal PT (MNPT) is required. To correct for methodological differences in performing the PT test, each laboratory should determine its own MNPT for each batch of reagent using fresh blood samples from a large number of normal individuals. This would be a laborious procedure. Two models for simplified assessment of MNPT were investigated by two laboratories in a collaborative study. According to the models, the MNPT of a new batch of reagent is calculated, using the PT of a lyophilized control plasma measured with the new batch and a reference batch, as well as the MNPT of the reference batch obtained with fresh samples. Experimental results were obtained with 19 batches of bovine thromboplastin, 4 lyophilized normal control plasmas and fresh blood samples of 40 normal individuals. The PTs of the 4 lyophilized normal control plasmas were not identical to the MNPT of the fresh normal samples and also different from each other. Therefore, the uncorrected PTs of these control plasmas cannot be used as MNPT.
In general, there was good agreement between measured and calculated MNPT, although some control plasmas gave better results than others. There were no significant differences between the results obtained by both calculation models.
- 1 International Committee for Standardization in Haematology and International Committee on Thrombosis and Haemostasis. ICSH/ICTH recommendations for reporting prothrombin time in oral anti-coagulant control. Thromb Haemostas 1985; 53: 155-6
- 2 WHO Expert Committee on Biological Standardization 33rd Report WHO. Techn Rep Ser 1983; 687: 81-105
- 3 Kirkwood TBL. Calibration of reference thromboplastins and standardization of the prothrombin time ratio. Thromb Haemostas 1983; 49: 238-44
- 4 Van den Besselaar AMHP. Standardization of the prothrombin time in oral anticoagulant control. Haemostasis 1985; 15: 271-7
- 5 Peters RHM, van den Besselaar AMHP, Olthuis FMFG. A multicentre study to evaluate the method dependency of the International Sensitivity Index of bovine thromboplastin. Thromb Haemostas 1989; 61: 166-9
- 6 Poller L, Hirsh J. A simple system for the derivation of International Normalized Ratios for the reporting of prothrombin time results with North American thromboplastin reagents. Am J Clin Pathol 1989; 92: 124-6
- 7 Hermans J, van den Besselaar AMHP, Loeliger EA, van de Velde EA. A collaborative calibration study of reference materials for thromboplastins. Thromb Haemostas 1983; 50: 712-7
- 8 Cornbleet PJ, Gochman N. Incorrect least-square regression coefficients in method-comparison analysis. Clin Chem 1979; 25: 432-8