Brain Abscesses: An Overview in Children
29 December 2016
05 November 2017
29 December 2017 (online)
Brain abscesses in infants and children might be life threatening if not managed properly. They occur more frequently in the first two decades of life despite the reduced incidence of sinus and ear infections in pediatrics. The features of brain abscess in terms of location, pathogens, and symptoms depend on age and thus on predisposing factors. In infants and toddlers, bacterial meningitis or bacteremia is the major cause, and in older children, immunosuppression and cyanotic congenital heart diseases are common predisposing factors. The therapeutic management of brain abscesses involves a multidisciplinary team, including infectious disease specialist, neurosurgery, neuroradiology, and neurology. A prompt and long-term antimicrobial therapy is the mainstay of treatment, often associated with surgical drainage. These changes in the management have significantly improved the prognosis of patients with brain abscesses over the past 50 years.
* Both authors contributed equally to this work.
- 1 Frazier JL, Ahn ES, Jallo GI. Management of brain abscesses in children. Neurosurg Focus 2008; 24 (06) E8 . doi: 10.3171/FOC/2008/24/6/E8
- 2 Bonfield CM, Sharma J, Dobson S. Pediatric intracranial abscesses. J Infect 2015; 71 (Suppl. 01) S42-S46
- 3 Muzumdar D, Jhawar S, Goel A. Brain abscess: an overview. Int J Surg 2011; 9 (02) 136-144
- 4 Goodkin HP, Harper MB, Pomeroy SL. Intracerebral abscess in children: historical trends at Children's Hospital Boston. Pediatrics 2004; 113 (06) 1765-1770
- 5 Brouwer MC, Tunkel AR, van de Beek D. Brain abscess. N Engl J Med 2014; 371 (18) 1758
- 6 Brouwer MC, Coutinho JM, van de Beek D. Clinical characteristics and outcome of brain abscess: systematic review and meta-analysis. Neurology 2014; 82 (09) 806-813
- 7 Sheehan JP, Jane JA, Ray DK, Goodkin HP. Brain abscess in children. Neurosurg Focus 2008; 24 (06) E6 . doi: 10.3171/FOC/2008/24/6/E6
- 8 Krzysztofiak A, Bozzola E, Lancella L, Quondamcarlo A, Gesualdo F, Ugazio AG. Linezolid therapy of brain abscess. Pediatr Infect Dis J 2010; 29 (11) 1063-1064
- 9 Shachor-Meyouhas Y, Bar-Joseph G, Guilburd JN, Lorber A, Hadash A, Kassis I. Brain abscess in children - epidemiology, predisposing factors and management in the modern medicine era. Acta Paediatr 2010; 99 (08) 1163-1167
- 10 Felsenstein S, Williams B, Shingadia D. , et al. Clinical and microbiologic features guiding treatment recommendations for brain abscesses in children. Pediatr Infect Dis J 2013; 32 (02) 129-135