Fibular Free Flap with Arteria Peronea Magna: The Role of Preoperative Balloon Occlusion
18 January 2011 (eFirst)
The free fibular osteocutaneous flap is a commonly used donor for reconstruction of mandibular defects. Vascular abnormalities and leg trauma are relative contraindications to the use of a fibular free flap. Peroneal arteria magna (PAM) is one such vascular abnormality that may preclude the use of the graft due to the high risk of lower-limb ischemia. Lower-limb angiography is the standard for assessing the lower-limb vascular anatomy; however, the indications remain controversial. Although balloon occlusion has been used to assess the vascular supply in distal bypass surgery, there have no reported cases of balloon occlusion to assess the viability of the distal extremity with PAM. Intraoperative assessment of vascular anatomy with an aborted harvest can lead to significant morbidity and cost. Balloon occlusion provides a relatively safe and minimally invasive technique for assessment of potential lower-limb ischemia in patients with PAM.
Fibular free flap - reconstruction - peroneal arteria magna
- 1 Fernandes R. Fibula free flap in mandibular reconstruction. Atlas Oral Maxillofac Surg Clin North Am. 2006; 14 143-150
- 2 Karanas Y L, Antony A, Rubin G, Chang J. Preoperative CT angiography for free fibula transfer. Microsurgery. 2004; 24 125-127
- 3 Seres L, Csaszar J, Voros E, Borbely L. Donor site angiography before mandibular reconstruction with fibula free flap. J Craniofac Surg. 2001; 12 608-613
- 4 Whitley S P, Sandhu S, Cardozo A. Preoperative vascular assessment of the lower limb for harvest of a fibular flap: the views of vascular surgeons in the United Kingdom. Br J Oral Maxillofac Surg. 2004; 42 307-310
- 5 Young D M, Trabulsy P P, Anthony J P. The need for preoperative leg angiography in fibula free flaps. J Reconstr Microsurg. 1994; 10 283-287 discussion 287-289
- 6 Disa J J, Cordeiro P G. The current role of preoperative arteriography in free fibula flaps. Plast Reconstr Surg. 1998; 102 1083-1088
- 7 Lutz B S, Wei F C, Ng S H, Chen I H, Chen S H. Routine donor leg angiography before vascularized free fibula transplantation is not necessary: a prospective study in 120 clinical cases. Plast Reconstr Surg. 1999; 103 121-127
Benjamin B Rahmel, M.D.
c/o Oral and Maxillofacial Unit, Royal Brisbane and Women's Hospital
Herston, Queensland, Australia 4029